Many moons ago, I got it in my head that the ogee shape would make an incredible quilt. I still contend that it might. However, back then, sure I knew what I was doing, I made a template, and cut right into some of my most precious fabrics (from my first three fabric lines) to make the horror shown below. I know it might look pretty (from a giant distance and through the screen), but in truth each one of those pieces is so puffed out it looks like a darned bra cup. I wouldn't joke about such a thing either. It's hideous. Every one of those seams is folded over... it's a disaster of epic proportions. And it's wrinkled because frankly I threw the thing in a box never to be looked at again... until now.
Naturally, since this quilt I have been afraid to do anything that remotely resembles a curve. Although, I did get really brave with my glue basting for quilt market and did some Jean Wells style piecing for a few backgrounds. I owe it to the glue that they lay flat. They actually lay beautifully flat.
But I was still not convinced I could do something as complicated as say, a double wedding ring. But Miss Cristy convinced me that I could with Piec-lique. I ordered the dvd from Cristy and Sharon's double wedding ring pattern and followed the directions. I can't tell you how happy with the results. Truth told, I've been seeing some double wedding rings in progress out there lately... and I gotta tell ya the double wedding ring is not easy. I'm seeing lots of pinched seams, puffing and any number of mis-matched points. I know it's not the results people are looking for. With this technique, you get none of that. I'm loving the results I'm getting on this WIP for my parent's 50th wedding anniversary (they'll get it by their 51st hopefully). Meanwhile, I'm hoping to use the piec-lique technique for an ogee quilt. It's gotta work. I'm convinced that with the right techniques, *almost* anything is possible. Live and learn.