Once a month, I involuntarily rearrange the furniture ...
and a recipe just because.
It's when I'm feeling particularly hormonal... you know what I mean? Anyone else do this? My mom and sisters do... and so do my girls. This month I was hell-bent on rearranging the kitchen. All I did was rotate the kitchen table, and move a couple chairs around the house, and declutter ... but it was very satisfying.
It started with a sideways glace at the cover of this fabulous book...
... But it caused a whole hormonal upset ... sending me reeling toward the furniture.
I turned the table 90 degrees... and removed the homework debris left by a pair of teenagers.
Then I added the runner to the top of the buffet... and shifted the tins to an angle. Because everything looks better on an angle.
And I moved the chair from my office to the left of the buffet (let's face it, actually sitting on it was breaking my back anyways).
I covered the cookies which were going stale on my favorite milk glass cake stand with the cheese dome. I've long since broken my glass cake stand, but the cheese dome, which was also a wedding present, is still in tact.
Then I decluttered the family room because it was desperate... why do all the socks and shoes end up under the coffee table anyways?
After these photos were taken, I abruptly messed the joint up decorating for Christmas and Hannukah... we celebrate both here. More on that later.
In the meantime, I'm going to share one of my favorite recipes because I instagramed this photo yesterday and it occurs to me not everyone makes kugel or knows what it is, and if you do, you still need this recipe because it's really the best ever. We make this for almost every Jewish holiday and several not so Jewish holidays. Our non-Jewish relatives request this is what we bring to parties. Kugel is a sweet noodle casserole generally served as a side dish and there are many variations on the theme ... before you look at the list of ingredients beware your cholesterol could rise just by reading it. YUM.
Betty's (my mom) Sweet Noodle Kugel
Preheat oven to 350
1 cup of milk
1 stick of butter, melted
1 cup of sugar
6 heaping tablespoons of sour cream
1 large package of wide egg noodles
1 package of cream cheese
6 slices of nasty processed American cheese (woot!)
Grahm Cracker Crumbs
Cinnamon Sugar mixture
1. Boil the noodes and drain.
2. Mix the eggs, butter, sugar, milk and sour cream together with a whisk.
3. Mix the Noodles with the liquid mixture.
4. Grease a large casserole dish.
5. Pour half the noodle mixture into the casserole.
6. Rip 3 pieces of American cheese up into 1/2" - 1" bits and spread around on top of the noodles.
7. Spread 1/2" chunks of half the cream cheese brick around evenly on top of the noodles.
8. Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs and cinnamon/sugar.
9. Evenly spread the rest of the noodle mixture on top of the first layer.
10. Repeat steps 6 to 8.
11. Bake at 350 uncovered for an hour or until lightly browned.