14 days of LillyBelle. Day 10... Drawstring Gift Bag
I think I'll make a bunch of these to have on had as the holidays approach. They are super easy for a lot of impact. Plus, of course, you can make them in any size... great for shoe bags, lingerie bags etc etc... just re-size.
Here's how I made this one...
Fat Quarter of fabric
1/4 yard contrast fabric
Main fabric: 16 1/4" x 14"
Contrast fabric: 4" x WOF
Step by Step:
1. Serge or zig zag stitch all four raw edges of the main fabric.
2. Fold the two 16 1/4" sides and 1 - 14" side in 1/4" toward the wrong side of the fabric. These will be the side seam and the bottom of the bag. Do not fold in the top edge.
3. Edge stitch along the inside edge of the 1/4" folded fabric to hem.
4. Mark 2 1/4" down from the top of the fabric.
5. Fold the top edge toward the wrong side of the fabric along the 2 1/4" mark.
6. Using a 1/4" seam allowance, sew along the top folded edge.
7. Edge stitch along the serged/zig zagged edge. You've just created the casing for your drawstring.
8. Fold the fabric in half lengthwise so the side seams meet, right sides together.
9. Sew the side seam and bottom edge using a 1/4" seam allowance.
10. Turn and press.
Make the drawstring:
1. Fold the fabric in half lengthwise, right sides together and press.
2. Fold each short raw end in toward the long folded edge at a 45 degree angle creating a pointed end.
3. Sew the raw edge and angle closed leaving a 4" -5" opening to turn. Turn and press.
4. Edge stitch the seam edge, closing the opening to finish.
5. Place a safety pin on one end of the drawstring and draw through the casing.
4. Turn the